On the many occasions when I have used journaling or freewriting in order to help me get all my ideas out on paper, I find it helps me to see patterns in the issues I was dealing with. I have also written many unsent letters to people to help me get closure when getting true closure wasn’t possible. I use both the old fashioned pen and paper method as well as composing on a computer. It depends on what I am processing as to which method feels better for me. For me, prose is the best way of voicing my thoughts and emotions. For others, though, writing poetry and song lyrics can be more helpful. Regardless of what specific approach works for you, getting things on paper can be a great way to understand your emotions.
So where to start? Many people suffer from a brain freeze when faced with a blank piece of paper and a writing device. If you are working with a therapist or life coach, that person may be able to help guide you in selecting topics that would be great for you to write about. If you’d like to do some emotional exploring on your own, I have created some general prompts below. Some of these are easy prompts that may not stir up much for you; others have the potential to trigger a great deal of pain. In those cases, I highly recommend you work with a life coach or therapist to help you process the pain that will surface in the process. Working with a practitioner who facilitates holistic healing using processes such as energy work, EFT, EMDR, or other methods can help to fully release the issues after you’ve brought them to the surface through writing. This can bring about healing that is not otherwise possible for many.
- What is my happiest memory (or memories) of childhood? Why did this event or situation bring me such joy? How can I find similar joy in my life today?
- What is my worst memory of childhood? Who was involved with it? How did that event make me feel then? How does it make me feel now? What emotions do I have towards the person or people involved in that situation? Do I feel like this situation still impacts me today? How and why? Do I need to do more work to help clear this trauma from my system?
- Who was my closest friend(s) in childhood? What did we do together? Why did I enjoy the company of this person?
- Who was the person who brought me the most pain in childhood? Why was that person able to hurt me so much? What do I feel toward that person now? Have I forgiven them for their actions? What do I need to do to find a way to forgive them?
- Who is the person whom I have felt the most love from as an adult? What does this person do to make me feel loved? How do I respond to this person? How can I deepen or strengthen my relationship with this person?
- What situation in my life currently brings me the most stress? Why does this situation stir up such strong issues for me? Are there underlying issues from my past that relate to this situation? How do I help support myself during this stressful situation? Can I be doing more to reduce my stress? What is my perspective or role in this situation and the issues that it causes me?
- In five years, what do I want to be different in my life? What will need to change for that to happen? What can I be doing every day to help bring about that change?
- Why do I seem to have the same romantic relationship with people over and over again? What is the pattern that is there? Why does this pattern occur? Is there a parallel to any of my relationships in childhood or in a past life? What can I do to break free of this pattern?
- Why did I choose my current job or profession? Does it bring me happiness? How can I make my employment situation better for myself?
- What do I feel my purpose is in this life? Am I working towards that purpose? What can I do to change my life to be in line with that purpose? Is there anything else I can I do that will support me in my life journey?
- What is my financial situation like? How do I want it to change? What can I do to make it change? Do I have emotional issues around money? Where do those issues come from? What can I do to release those issues?
- What is the most spiritual experience I’ve ever had? Why was that particular experience so powerful for me? Do I attempt to recreate that experience for myself on a regular basis? Do I seek out other amazing spiritual experiences? How could I work towards such a goal?
© 2015 Green Heart Guidance