I grew up in a conservative, college-educated, Catholic, military family. This upbringing was one that had an emphasis on logic and rationality. Using one’s intuition was not a priority, especially if it countered logic. As a result, I spent the majority of my childhood and early adulthood ignoring my intuition even when it was overwhelming. I almost always regretted not following my gut feelings even though I was doing exactly what I had been taught to do.
My chronic illness has taught me otherwise. Through my health struggles, I began to develop my intuition as it assisted me greatly in my healing. The first time I really used intuition to assist in my treatment was my decision to go on Valtrex, an anti-viral that is sometimes used to treat those with high HHV-6 levels which can lead to extreme fatigue. While my HHV-6 levels were out of range, they were not as high as those who showed remarkable progress on Valtrex. Still, my doctor was open to trying it because I was so certain I wanted to. While my HHV-6 levels never dropped, the Valtrex did something else amazing: My energy levels went up. It was not enough to make me functional again, but this was the first step in getting me to be less bedbound than I was at that time. Clearly some virus in my system was part of the larger problem, and the Valtrex addressed that issue.
Throughout my illness, I have continued to hone my intuition. I am very good at picking the supplement that is best for my own body now, in part due to intuition and in part due to my higher power connections. Just exercising this intuition was the starting point in what led to the opening up of my other metaphysical gifts. My intuition is still not perfect: I would estimate that it is 95% right when it comes to matters about me, and when it is wrong the other 5% of the time, it is due to my high emotional involvement. However, knowing that has taught me that when I’m highly emotionally involved, I need to draw on other outside resources to make sure I provide myself with the best care.
We all have intuition, and we are all able to listen to “that gut feeling.” I believe that everyone should usually follow their gut even when authorities, rational thinking or logic tell you otherwise. This doesn’t just have to apply to health issues. When you are considering dating someone and your gut tells you not to, then don’t do it. Something in your intuition is trying to protect you. When everything about a business deal feels bad to you, if it’s in your power to change it or stop it, then do so. You can use your intuition even just getting in the car and going somewhere: If your gut tells you not to take the route you normally do, there’s probably a good reason for that such as an accident or a traffic jam.
Following your intuition doesn’t mean you have to give up rational thought. I describe myself as “an interesting paradox of an intellectual from academia combined with a grounded but metaphysically gifted person.” It is possible to do both, though I have found it hard to find my place in society as I integrate two positions that are erroneously believed to be in opposition to each other. Yet this is who I am: An extremely logical and rational woman who uses her intuition and metaphysical gifts to guide her. I love whom I am, and I have no desire to change that!
© 2014 Green Heart Guidance